Raspberry Pi: Information Display Blog #4

I was finally able to get to the SD card that Dr. Hatley had staples in between some paper and taped to the bottom of a TV in the science building.

Once it was in my possession, we realized we had to upload an operating system to the card called Raspian Jessie which is an OS image that makes the Raspberry Pi run.

This time, we decided to meet in my dorm suite of Dedmond hall to avoid traveling across campus with the huge 40″ TV.

We started the download of the OS which was really slow and it started to annoy us. The internet connection at Coppin is not the strongest. So, Dr. Hatley suggested we use an Ethernet cable for faster connection. Neither of us had an Ethernet cable available so I decided to take the materials to my apartment off campus and use the one I had from Xfinity.

I was able to quickly download the OS and I had to also download another software called Win32 Disk Imager, in order to actually add the OS to the SD card only for that process to be a failure because I kept receiving an error message stating “Error 1117: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.” Not knowing what that means exactly, I googled several different things to get a better understanding and to find a solution.

Another frustrating, time consuming issue I had was I initially downloaded the Win32 Disk Imager onto the SD card on accident which took up majority of the space and had a problem trying to download it to my laptop itself. When I finally got it downloaded correctly onto a flash drive (seemed to be the easiest way), I was unable to run the software and insert the SD card converted into my own laptop because the USB ports were right next to each other and they did not fit. So I had to go get my girlfriend’s laptop which has a actual SD card reader and was able to run the software while attempting to write the OS image to the SD card.

I continued to get the same error message and at this point I was late for class which was almost over. So again, I’m frustrated at this point. I gather all the materials and head to class which was over when I arrived.

Orville and I met with Dr. Hatley to discuss our trials and errors and we came to the conclusion that the Raspberry Pi Zero we were given was broken. So we were given a Raspberry Pi 3, a different power source and another SD card with 32GB.

Posted in Research Scientists.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *